Welcome to the web site of the IGSN e.V., the Implementing Organization of the International Geo Sample Number IGSN, a unique identifier for samples and specimens collected from our natural environment.
The objective of the IGSN e.V. is to implement and promote standard methods for locating, identifying, and citing physical samples with confidence by operating an international IGSN registration service with a distributed infrastructure for use by and benefit to its members.
The IGSN was developed by the System for Earth Sample Registration SESAR, with funding from the US National Science Foundation. SESAR currently operates all registration services for the IGSN. A new architecture for the IGSN that will advance broad and international implementation is under development and will be completed in 2012.
The IGSN e.V. is incorporated under German law as a not-for-profit society (gemeinnütziger eingetragener Verein) with a registered office at the GeoForschungsZentrum (GFZ) Potsdam.
The founding assembly of the IGSN e.V. was held on December 7, 2011, in San Francisco, California. The founding members signed the statutes.
Current IGSN e.V. Members
- *Arizona State Geological Survey, USA
- *Boise State University, USA
- *City College of New York, USA
- Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organization (CSIRO), Australia
- Curtin University, Australia
- *Helmholtz Centre for Ocean Research Kiel (GEOMAR) [formerly Leibniz Institute of Marine Sciences (IFM-GEOMAR)], Germany
- *GeoForschungsZentrum Potsdam, Germany
- Geoscience Australia, Australia
- Korea Institute of Geoscience and Mineral Resources (KIGAM), Korea
- *Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory, Columbia University, USA
- MARUM - Center for Marine Environmental Sciences, University of Bremen, Germany
- *Oregon State University, USA
- Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, USA
- *Scripps Institution of Oceanography / UC San Diego, USA
- *University of Minnesota, USA
- Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution, USA
For questions and membership application, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.