Welcome to the website of the IGSN e.V., the Implementation Organization of the International Geo Sample Number (IGSN), a unique identifier for samples and specimens collected from our natural environment.
The objective of the IGSN e.V. is to implement and promote standard methods for locating, identifying, and citing physical samples with confidence by operating an international IGSN registration service with a distributed infrastructure for use by and benefit to its members.
The IGSN e.V. is incorporated under German law as a not-for-profit society (gemeinnütziger eingetragener Verein) with a registered office at the GeoForschungsZentrum (GFZ) Potsdam.
The founding assembly of the IGSN e.V. was held on December 7, 2011, in San Francisco, California. The founding members signed the statutes.
Current IGSN e.V. Members
- *Arizona State Geological Survey, USA
- *Boise State University, USA
- *City College of New York, USA
- Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organization (CSIRO), Australia
- Curtin University, Australia
- EDYTEM, France
- *Helmholtz Centre for Ocean Research Kiel (GEOMAR) [formerly Leibniz Institute of Marine Sciences (IFM-GEOMAR)], Germany
- *GeoForschungsZentrum Potsdam, Germany
- Geoscience Australia, Australia
- Korea Institute of Geoscience and Mineral Resources (KIGAM), Korea
- *Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory, Columbia University, USA
- MARUM - Center for Marine Environmental Sciences, University of Bremen, Germany
- *Oregon State University, USA
- Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, USA
- *Scripps Institution of Oceanography / UC San Diego, USA
- South African Environmental Observation Network, South Africa
- University of Kiel, Germany
- *University of Minnesota, USA
- Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution, USA
For questions and membership application, please contact email@example.com.